The development roadmap for the Radix Public Network is divided into significant releases, named after historically significant cities that bore wonders of the ancient world. As we reach each milestone release, new features and capabilities are added for developers or users.
The four major milestone releases on the Radix roadmap are as follows.
Olympia - July 28th, 2021
Olympia lays the foundations for future releases of our game-changing Radix technologies.
- Radix Engine v1 - allows transfer of tokens and instantiation of new tokens without custom code.
- Simplified and unsharded form of our groundbreaking Cerberus consensus protocol
- The first implementation of our Delegated Proof of Stake system for Sybil protection, allowing XRD token holders to stake XRD in the Radix Desktop Wallet.
Holders of eXRD are able to swap to XRD 1:1 using the Instabridge service, and holders of both can swap both ways via Bitfinex.
Alexandria - December 2021
Alexandria was the first look at our custom-built programming language - Scrypto, and Blueprints and Components as part of the Radix Engine v2 execution environment. The Alexandria release was a developer-focused package that allows them to experiment with Scrypto development on a local network “simulator” environment. This gave developers a way to develop and test code in a safe environment to begin preparing for the ability to deploy code to a real public network at the release of Babylon.
Babylon - Q1 2023
Babylon brings all the initial set of Scrypto/REv2 features from Alexandria to the Radix Public Network, plus our unique approach to on-ledger development libraries the Blueprint Catalog, and the Radix Developer Royalties system.
This is where we expect Radix Engine v2 will begin to truly shine: demonstrating that it is quick, easy, and safe to build DeFi dApps, with further capabilities added by Radix and our community in the future to take it even further.
Babylon begins in Q4 2022 with the launch of the Babylon Betanet, which will enable this essential “real-world” testing ahead of the Q1 2023 mainnet release. We will be releasing a lot more information about the exciting things to look forward to between now and then, but here is a teaser of some of the major expected roadmap items for the year:
- Q2 2022 - Babylon Public Test Environment, a very simple public network simulator that will allow publishing of Scrypto blueprints and components along with composition using the new transaction manifest, with simulator tools sufficient to enable first experimentation with “full stack” dApp development including web frontends
- Q3 2022 - Babylon Alphanet, the earliest possible public test network with capabilities similar to the Test Environment, but with core network and Gateway functions for testing
- Q4 2022 - Babylon Betanet (Babylon Begins), with stable APIs and finalized Scrypto and network features that will allow production testing to begin on Scrypto dApps and migration of third-party integrations
- Q1 2023 - Babylon rollout completes with Radix Public Network migration
Xi’an - 2023
Some of the possible implementations of sharded Cerberus are currently being tested and demonstrated on the Cassandra test network live on Twitch.
Xi’an will provide Radix with infinite linear scalability and unlimited atomic composability. Both of these features are unique to Radix, and both are required if DeFi is to scale to meet the future demands of billions of people.